How to Paint on Vinyl-TUTORIAL



Searching Pinterest recently, I came across the neatest bag from the blog CUT OUT AND KEEP.   She had purchased an inexpensive white clutch and painted it with acrylic paint.  Well, I just HAD to try it! 



I already had some black vinyl on hand, so all I had to purchase was a chevron stencil, acrylic paint and fabric medium. 

I then cleaned my vinyl with fingernail polish remover so that the paint would stick better to the vinyl.  (Actually, I did this b/c that is what the tutorial I was following said to do.  It sounds good!)

Now, the tutorial by Cut Out and Keep did not say to do this, but everything I read on painting with acrylic says you should add fabric medium., so I did that here. 

I used the only sponge I had on hand.  I did my best to not let the pain get under the edges.  I did not bother taping the stencil down, because it was already sticking to the vinyl.  I tried to just dab and not make strokes, but I was getting impatient and it seemed like stroking was covering better.

Well, this is what it looked like!  So, I tried again.


This time I used some double sided tape to keep the stencil in place, but come on, there is no way every edge is going to stay down.  I could not put tape everywhere!  I continued on anyway, knowing I would probably get the same result.

I coated it three times and this is what I got.

Still pretty messy.  So, I decided to haul out the ol' trusty Sharpie.  I cleaned up the lines and it looked much better. 

You can see the marker lines in this picture, but....

After putting on one coat of Mod Podge, you could not even tell!  Woohoo!  I was so happy.

I then tried to make something with this cool fabric and I totally messed it up.  I will definitely do this again, however, because it looks so neat!

Have you ever tried this?  I'd love to see your projects!

Check out my LINKY PARTY DIRECTORY to see where I'll be linking up this week!

Have a great day!

Gina


Comments

Popular Posts