Doodle Me a Butterfly Pillow

Machine stitched butterfly

Are you a doodler?  Well, I've become a doodler as of late, because I love the unique designs quilters use for their quilting stitches.  Practice makes perfect, so doodling on paper is a great place to start when you are trying to learn all the variety of quilting designs.   Once I practice the designs, I then move to the machine and practice on fabric.  Just drop the feed-dogs and begin practicing those humps and circles and then move on to whatever you want.  Well at the end of this post I'll show you my first attempt at doodling with my machine.

I mention all that because this pillow is like doodling, except you will not use free-motion stitching with the feed dogs down.  You can make this pillow using a simple straight stitch!  Here is how I did it...

1. SKETCH YOUR PICTURE

I sketched this butterfly free-hand, but you can print a black and white picture that you like and work with that instead.

2.  TRANSFER PICTURE ONTO FABRIC


Take your sketch and place it face down onto your fabric securing with painters tape.

I then taped my fabric, with the sketch attached, onto a window where lots of light was shining through.  Trace you design onto your fabric.

3.  STITCH YOUR DESIGN



Take your fabric to your machine and begin stitching over every drawn line.  Use a straight stitch for lines and use a zig-zag stitch to fill in shaded areas.  NOTE:  You can use free-motion stitching for this step, and I considered it, but I have a hard time getting even stitches when I do that, so I chose not to do it on this project.

4.  ASSEMBLE PILLOW


Select a piece of fabric for the back of the pillow.  Cut it to the same size as your front piece.

Sew the pillow right sides together all the way around, but leave a small opening for turning the pillow.  Once you have turned your pillow right side out, you are then ready to stuff your pillow.  I used Polyester Fiberfil.  Then, finish the pillow off by hand stitching the opening closed.









Here are examples of the machine 'doodling' I was talking about.  It's very relaxing to just sit at your machine, drop the feed dogs, and just play around. 

Doodling butterflies and flowers.

Just make a pretend quilt sandwich (material, batting, material) and start practicing. 



Attempt at a tree! LOL
I hope you enjoyed this post!  Thanks so much for stopping by!  I plan on making pillows all this week, so come back on Wednesday, when I hope to have another pillow to show you.

You will never miss a post if you follow me!  You can sign up to receive e-mails, follow with Bloglovn', Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter, all at the top of this page on the right sidebar.

Have a blessed week! =D

~Gina

(I found this idea in a book called The Big-AXX (you can fill n the X's)_ Book of Home Decor by Mark Montano)


This project has been featured at...

Feather's Flight  http://www.feathersflights.com/

Lil Mrs Tori

The Crafty Blog Stalker

All Things with Purpose




I will be linking up to these great parties...
Visit thecsiproject.com

SUNDAY
    MONDAY
    TUESDAY
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday 


    Comments

    Popular Posts