Back-to-School Chalkboard

Homeschool Chalkboard

Well, I finally finished both of the projects I began last week while back home at my parent's farm.  You can read about our visit here.  While home I found an old school desk and this piece of wood that used to belong to a dresser.  Both were dusty and tucked away in an old farm shed.  Thankfully, my dad let me have them.  :)  I have already posted about the desk here.

Here is the section of an old dresser.  I washed it up and sanded it first.

After a little bit of sanding I added some wood stain.  I did not really need to stain the middle, as I figured I would either put a mirror there, or chalkboard paint, but I wasn't for sure.  So, I decided to just stain it.

I opted for the chalkboard look.  I thought it would look good in our homeschool room.  

I think I did a total of 4-5 coats of the the chalkboard paint.  I used chalkboard spray paint and found it to work just fine.  

Next, I knew I wanted to add something to the bottom.  It just looked like it was missing something.  I decided the word 'HOMEWORK' would be appropriate.  

I do not have the greatest penmanship, so I used this nifty little trick I found on The Happy Housie Blog.

1. Print out the word/picture you want to paint on your wood.

2. On the back side of the printed word, shade over the letters.

3. Then, place the printout on your board exactly where you want the word to appear.  Carefully trace around the letters, pressing firmly. 

4. The lettering will then be imprinted onto your wood surface.

5. I used acrylic paint to fill in the lettering.

You can do the same thing with a picture.  I chose an apple and a pencil to go with my school theme.


The final step is to give the project a coat of polyurethane to protect the wood.

And that's it!!  Now I just need to add some brackets and hang it in our homeschool room. 



Back-to-School Chalkboard


The desk and the chalkboard go nice together, don't you think?  

Are you all ready for school to start??  How about you homeschooling moms?  Thankfully, I bought all of my curriculum in April, so all I need to do is get organized!!  That's easier said than done.  :)

I have some back-to-school sewing projects to start working on, so don't forget to follow me with one of the purple links on the right side-bar so you don't miss any of my upcoming post. :)  Thanks for stopping by!  Leave a comment if you have time.  I love making new friends!

Blessings,
~Gina

This project was featured here...



I'll be linking up to these great parties...
Monday
Silver Pennies (Sunday party)

Our Delightful Home
Tuesday
Ladybug Blesings
MamalDiane 
VMG206
Diamond in the Stuff
Someday I'll Learn
Back to the Basics
It's Your Life
Stone Cottage
Our Home Away from Home
Hickory Trail
Elizabeth & Company 
Kammy's Korner 
Tweak It Tuesday
Cozy Little House
Naptime Creations 
Sugar Bee Crafts 
The Dedicated House 
ThediyDreamer 
Home Stories A to Z

Wednesday
Ashley's Dandelion Wishes
We Like to Learn as We Go 
Ginger Snap Crafts
Daisy Cottage Designs
DIY By Design 
The Blissful Bee 
Southern Lovely 
Made to be a Momma 
Adorned from Above 
The Real Thing with the Coake Family
The Blackberry Vine 

Thursday
Organized 31
7Alive all Livin' in a Double Wide
Posed Perfection 
The Crafty Blog Stalker
Glued to my Crafts

Friday
French Country Cottage 
Happy Hour Friday 
Simple Sweet Home
Shine On Fridays
Love and Laundry & The Thriftiness Miss
A Peak into My Paradise
504 Main
What-About Co.
Redfly Creations
Diana Rambles
Miss Mustard Seed
If It's Not Baroque
Frugal Fit Family
Chic on a Shoestring



Comments

Popular Posts