Learning How to Sew

When I started sewing a few months ago, I quickly realized that I liked projects that were very quick.  Instant gratification is key when you are beginning to sew.  The very first thing I made was a doll quilt for my oldest daughter.  Here it is...

 These are the first 2 squares I had ever sewn together.  I'm so happy. :)


 This is my first block.  When I posted this on facebook my brother thought this was my quilt that I was so excited about. LOL.


 The finished product. 



If you want to make YOUR first ever quilt, I recommend starting small like this.  That's what people told me, and I think it's a good idea.  You will get a good idea about how to cut, piece, and then quilt the pieces together.  I did a simple stitch in the ditch for the quilting part.

I also recommend checking out Quilty with Mary Fons on utube or at their web site here. Mary's excitement is just contagious and she really made me believe I could do it!


I also tried out some hand stitching to make dd's initials.



And lastly, a pillow.  I had some extra fabric.  Not beautiful, but she liked it.

To make things simple for a 1st quilt, I also did not want the pressure of picking out the fabric.  So, I bought those little packs of small cuts of fabric that already match.  All of the fabrics you see came in a little bundle in the sewing section at Wal-Mart.  For the backing, I just used a nice old sheet that I had lying around.  I really like sheets for the backing-plus it's cheap if you have a good one on hand.

I always thought quilting was a lost art, but after doing some research, there are so many young people getting into quilting.  So, give it a try!

I'd love to hear from you if you are thinking about quilting, or are just getting into quilting/sewing.  I'm learning on my own, so I'd love to make some sewing friends on here.


Comments

Popular Posts